The OPPORTUNISTIC rapist :
- Any method of attack
- Verbal threats for control of victim
- Immediate gratification (usually part of another offense)
- No paraphilic activity ( vaginal penetration)
- Minimal level of force
- Rape lasts a short period of time
- Context controls motivation : no preparation
- Poor impulse control
- Likely to be found: frequently leaves evidence on the scene
The POWER-REASSURANCE rapist:
- is mostly likely “pseudo-unselfish” (say things as if he is concerned about the victim, “am I hurting you”, “are you okay”)
- They will typically use a surprise “blitz” attack.
- They may exhibit “peeping Tom” behavior.
- They generally seek out victims in their own age range.
- They may revisit the victim’s home after the rape. Sometimes they make follow-up contacts by telephone.
- They tend to take trophies or souvenirs from the victim.
- This type of rapist is fairly geographically stable.
- This person rapes again within 7-15 days (biological clock). This short time period is because the feeling of being (socially and sexually) adequate through rape wears off quickly.
The POWER-ASSERTIVE rapist:
- has no conscious doubts about his masculinity, and is quite confident of his “con” approach.
- He selects victims his own age, and will often transport them to an assault location where he rips or tears their clothing off and discards it.
- He rapes when he feels he “needs” a woman, on about a 20-25 day cycle.
- He’s usually very selfish, but can manifest a range of emotion, including concern for the victim’s comfort if it appears she’s relaxed.
- They like to leave their victims emotionally traumatized, often naked by the side of the road.
- They will typically have some sort of comfort zone, but can be geographically mobile, preferring to pick up hitchhikers or stranded motorists (strangers).
- Alcohol and/or drugs are usually taken prior to the act.
- The sex act often involves bondage. This type of offender likes to keep things “foolproof”. They won’t take trophies or souvenirs, but they may have hidden recording or videotaping devices.
- They like to make their victims totally submissive from the start, so they may begin with an anal assault, with their preference being oral sex. He will use a great deal of profanity, demeaning and humiliating the victim, forcing the victim into cooperating with various sex acts; “Shut up or I’ll kill you”.
- There’s usually no fondling, kissing, or foreplay. It is not this rapist’s desire to harm the victim, only to possess her sexually.
The ANGER-RETALIATION rapist:
- is getting even with women for real or imaginary wrongs.
- They are angry with women and are using sex as a weapon to punish them.
- The crime itself is usually not premeditated, and a “blitz” attack is often used.
- The actual sexual assault will take little time, and the whole encounter may be very short. Once the pent-up anger is vented, the rapist quickly leaves.
- This type of rapist tends to attack women who are somewhat older than he is, often somebody who symbolizes somebody else.
- They like to rip or tear the clothing off, and will often use their fists, hitting the victim in the stomach usually.
- After such an attack, the offender feels a great deal of relief, until his tension and anger against women as the source of all his problems builds up again. The biological clock on a rapist such as this is 6 months to a year.
The ANGER-EXCITATION, or more commonly SADISTIC rapist:
- is sexually stimulated by the victim’s pain and suffering.
- The primary motivation is to inflict pain that brings about the desired fear response.
- The attack is vicious, but the rapist has methodically planned and executed this kind of behavior before. He therefore feels comfortable enough to be opportunistic in his selection of victims.
- Victims are usually strangers who may or may not fit his idea of what a “nice” victim would be, but they may be older and of a different race. Needless to say, he is sexually and verbally selfish and typically uses brutal force as well as very angry, hostile language instead of profanity.Victims who have survived have reported extreme mood swings during the encounter, at times, bordering upon being downright complimentary.
- There’s never any attempt at foreplay, except for some occasional, strange licking, but more commonly bites.
- They typically use bondage, and while bound, the victim’s clothes will be cut off with a knife.
- He takes the victim to a preselected location, keeping her there for hours to days, during that time torturing her with instruments or devices, reducing her to depths of fear difficult to imagine (on his level).
- He is attuned to the visual and auditory features of the encounter, and is extremely likely to have recording devices.
- This particular type of rapist will probably have a “secret” life as a married, educated, white collar, fine, upstanding member of the community.
- They may also be the type with a prison background, seeking revenge on society as a whole. Drugs and/or alcohol are usually present in the situation.
- It’s hard to predict the biological clock for this type of offender, 30 days usually, but whenever he gets “pissed off”.